Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf du Pape 2018 - The Grape Tray
Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf du Pape 2018
SKU: 828

Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf du Pape 2018

  • wa95
  • jd94

750ml
$55.99

Available for:
Pickup
Shipping
Share

Winery Notes:

Le Vieux Donjon is a relatively young winery, having been set up in 1966. It is located on the Châteauneuf-du-Pape route, in Courthézon, and consists of 18 hectares of vines that are up to one hundred years old and that only produce a red cuvée and a white cuvée. The winery is currently run by Claire Michel, the founder's daughter, who spent time training at Harlan Estate, a renowned winery in the Napa Valley, California.

To make Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape, most of the clusters are destemmed and, with the exception of the Mourvèdre, all varieties are vinified together in a traditional way, in square-shaped red concrete tanks. The resulting wine ages for 18 months, 80% in oak foudres and the remaining 20% in cement tanks. 

Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape is a complex and balanced wine, a classic coupage from the region that can be enjoyed for years to come.

Wine Advocate
  • wa95

A rich, mouthfilling effort, Vieux Donjon's 2018 Chateauneuf du Pape is concentrated and velvety, showing plenty of power and weight. Ripe cherries and raspberries are dusted with clove and star anise, then joined by hints of leather and cocoa on the long, intense finish. This is a beautiful Vieux Donjon that should drink well for more than a decade.

Joe Czerwinski, September 24, 2020
Jeb Dunnuck
  • jd94

This estate always makes a traditionally styled wine and their 2018 Châteauneuf Du Pape is no exception, revealing a medium ruby/purple color as well as spicy, gamey notes of red and black currants, smoked game, peppery garrigue, and new saddle leather. Medium to full-bodied, with terrific elegance (which is the vintage), a gorgeous texture, and outstanding length, this is classic, old-school Châteauneuf du Pape done clean, balanced, and brilliantly! It's going to evolve nicely for 15 years or more.

October 6, 2020